As prayers continue throughout the world for the recovery of Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin, it is important to recognize the magnificent performance of all those involved for the immediate attention during the crisis after Damar collapsed on the field. Both teams medical staff, stadium personnel and NFL protocols have given this young player a chance to live and recover after this unfortunate accident.
It is imminent that all sporting leagues, teams, organizations, stadiums and schools analyze this example and make sure to implement and reinforce safety and medical protocols, train and certificate staff and be conscious at all times to be ready to perform.
Boxing has strict medical guidelines for emergencies, however not all jurisdictions are fully equipped and trained, we must all unite in this front to reach uniformity worldwide.
No boxing card shall take place if all of the following are not confirmed and verified to be in place and in working order :
1. 2 fully equipped ambulances stationed at the venue with unblocked exit and specific directions on where they must drive in case of an emergency. They must remain on site at least one hour after event has finished until clearance is given for them to leave.
2. Paramedics stationed at ring side with stretcher, cardiac defibrillator, and portable oxygen equipment. A rehearsal of emergency exit must be performed by paramedics, local commission, stadium staff and others involved before the event begins.
3. A nearby hospital with the required equipment for emergency surgery must be contracted and put on notice of the event.
4. A neurosurgeon must be on call and ready to attend an emergency.
5. Boxing commission / local jurisdiction must have sufficient medical personnel working the event, chief doctor, 1 or 2 additional doctors at ringside and dressing room doctor. There must be training and certification on all those participating.
There is a common concept of the “Golden Hour“, meaning that if an athlete is attended in the first hour of the incident there is a much higher probability of success in the procedures. Reason for which immediate and prompt attention is necessary.
Athletes are young men and women who perform at the highest level of capacity, each single sport has dangers, thus contact sports have increased risks and dangers for injuries. It is the duty of all of us to make sure our athletes compete with rules and guidelines that protect their integrity as well as with emergency procedures to act in situations like the one on Monday night which has brought world attention and awareness.
God Bless Damar Hamlin, his family and friends, his teammates and opponent team as the trauma caused during such moments of anguish will forever remain in their minds.