By Mauricio Sulaiman
The WBC prides itself for being the dream of most fighters from around the world, the dream to become WBC champions and win the Green and gold belt.
After Errol Spence questioned where do the sanction fees paid by fighters go, during his recent media tour for his fight against Crawford in which all 4 belts will be on the line, I have decided to write this special 12 round column to illustrate and educate those who are not familiar with The WBC and its world platform, structure and multiple programs.
The WBC was founded 60 years ago in 1963, it is a nonprofit organization and has 170 countries affiliated though 9 continental federations.
The WBC headquarters are based in Mexico City with 50 direct employees and many more indirect services by outsourcing. Offices in Los Angeles, Albuquerque and Miami in the USA and several third-party offices in several parts of the world.
The WBC Board of Governors consist of 36 members of the boxing Community from around the world and there are many committees which work diligently, every single day, to make boxing better and safer. The WBC has thousands of members all over the world who participate in a variety of activities through our global platform.
Some of these committees are:
– World medical, Ratings, Ring Officials, Legal, WBC Cares, Jose Sulaiman Boxer´s Fund, Technical, Conventions and Special Events, Public Relations and Media, Social media, Merchandising, World Champions, Clean Boxing Program, Weight management program, Amateur Boxing, Women Boxing, Mismatch Prevention, Government International affairs, Affiliated championships committee plus each individual affiliated title has their own committee. And many more …
The WBC reason for existence is the boxer, the boxer before, during and after their years in the ring.
Unlike all other sports, in which the league is in absolute control of the business side of the sport, like the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, PGA, UFC, FIFA, etc., Boxing sanctioning organizations have absolutely no involvement in the business which avoids any conflict of interest; The money that The WBC collects from sanction fees from promoters and boxers is used for the proper administration of the worldwide operations and all the different programs as described in this letter. Every single dollar received by The WBC goes back to boxing one way or another.
The WBC belongs to the fighters of the world and every single action is done on behalf of all former and current champions, challengers and promoters who have participated in WBC sanctioned fights. The WBC is a BIG worldwide FAMILY.
WBC Board of Governors visit of Azerbaijan.
WBC staff in Mexico City headquarters
WBC Staff at WBC 2020 Virtual Convention
WBC Staff at WBC 2021 Convention – Mexico, City
* WBC medical and scientific research which has resulted in facts and information to change existing rules, implement new ones and create programs and safety protocols throughout the years
DR. Finerman & David Martin
WBC Medical Committee session
WBC weight management program
12 Rounds World Title fights (instead of 15 rounds)
* WBC Clean Boxing Program, a unique thorough 365 day 24 hours a day random antidoping testing program funded by The WBC and administered by VADA.
The WBC Clean Boxing Program
* Jose Sulaiman Boxers Fund which has provided aid since 2012 to many boxers from all around the world who have fallen in hard times.
The Jose Sulaiman Fund – welfare custodian of the boxing community
The José Sulaimán Boxers Fund has awarded more than $2 million dollars in support to fighters and former fighters from Nicaragua, Argentina, Thailand, China, Colombia, Spain, the United States, the Philippines, Panama, Mexico, among many other countries.
Jose Sulaiman Fund – welfare of the boxing community Ring Telmex Telcel scholarships to young boxers
Ring Telmex Telcel scholarships to young boxers
Hublot/WBC second Gala Dinner was held in 2019, raising $1.2 million for the Fund
Mantequilla Napoles and Gerald McClellan beneficiaries of the José Sulaimán Boxers Fund
* WBC Cares Program created in 2004 which has boxers and members of the boxing Community visit Children’s hospitals, orphanages, schools, gymnasiums and other facilities to bring hope and inspiration to those who need it most.
*WBC Special Events and annual world conventions to bring the world of boxing together and promote our sport while working in the annual programs and results with specific plans of action
First Women’s boxing convention
Guinness Record in las Vegas.- Most World Champions reunited
Boxing legends meet in 2019 WBC World Convention in Cancún
Sugar Ray Leonard Gala
Muhammad Ali gala in LA 1983
Night of Champions Cardiff, Wales 2010
International government affairs – The WBC is a world organization with world programs which influence and positively affects society
Don José Sulaimán was a very dear friend of Mr. Nelson Mandela, WBC named him “King of Human Equality”.
Don José Sulaimán long cherished dream: Jack Johnson Gets Pardon, 105 Years after Baseless Conviction.
WBC Special edition belt; celebrating Juneteenth: Governor Greg Abbot (Texas) and Mayor Eric L. Adams (NYC)
WBC BoxVal program with Pope Francis foundation – Pope Francis granted The WBC the administration of Boxing with Values program to serve as a tool of education through boxing for youngsters helping them to build bridges of hope and find opportunities for their future.
* Ring officials – Training and certification , WBC University platform for training and improvement, in person seminars , technology to optimize areas of officiating.
* Social Responsibility Campaigns – Year-round campaigns which include on site lectures, remote events, visits, digital and media campaigns to promote principles and values to fight against the many evils that our society and kids face, such as Addictions, Bullying, Discrimination, Cancer Awareness, Mental Health, among many others.
* Natural disasters funds – The WBC continuously participates with funds and activations to aid people from the world suffering from natural disasters, such as, earthquakes, flooding, nuclear meltdown, etc.
* Friendly Hand Fund – Jose Sulaiman began in 1976 this program to provide support to multiple cases from the members of the boxing Community and thousands of grants have been awarded throughout the years
* WBC AMATEUR work together with Boxing federations around the world to give amateur boxing certainty, through tournaments and financial support programs for boxers and coaches.
*Women Boxing: WBC supported Women’s boxing for many years to set to the stage of today; medical research to safeguard women health and safety with 2 min per round and 10 round fights.
Taylor vs. Serrano .- WBC Special edition Celta – Boricua belt
* Boxing as social re-insertion.
WBC Boxing and psychological care programs in prisons
* WBC Adaptive Boxing