2020 has been a difficult year, with boxing suffering due to the global pandemic, but with the iron will to continue working and adapting to the new standards of protection and health.
2021 will be recognized as “The Year of Boxing” by the WBC, because in addition to having a large number of celebrations, we are sure that boxing will be back to its best.
In the “Year of Boxing” we commemorate important dates in our sport including:
– 45 years since Carlos ‘Cañas’ Zarate dethroned Rodolfo Martínez, for KO in 9 rounds, winning the WBC bantamweight world title at the Inglewood Forum, on May 8, 1976.
– 40 years since Wilfredo Benítez conquered his third world title in 3 different divisions. He had previously won the superlight and welterweight crowns. He then defeating Maurice Hope, by knockout in 12 rounds, to win the WBC Superwelter title, at Caesars Palace at Las Vegas, Nevada, on May 23, 1981.
– 40 years since Alexis Arguello conquered his third world title in 3 different divisions. He had previously been champion at Feather and Super Feather. He overcame Scottish Jim Watt, by unanimous decision in 15 rounds, conquering the WBC Lightweight title, in London , England, on June 20, 1981.
– 40 years since Salvador Sánchez defeated Wilfredo Gómez by technical knockout in 8 rounds, retaining the WBC featherweight world title, at the Sports Pavilion at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, on August 21, 1981.
– 35 years since Mike Tyson conquered the WBC heavyweight title by defeating Trevor Berbick by second round TKO, becoming the youngest world champion in history in this division at age 20, on November 22, 1986.
– 25 years since Daniel Zaragoza defeated Joichiro Tatsuyoshi by knockout in the eleventh round, defending his WBC Super bantamweight title in Yokohama, Japan, on March 3, 1996.
– 20 years since Oscar de la Hoya won the WBC super welterweight title by defeating the Spanish Javier Castillejo by decision, to conquer his 5th World title in 5 different divisions. Formerly Super Featherweight, Lightweight, Superlight and welterweight champion. This triumph was at the MGM Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. June 23, 2001.
At the next WBC convention, which will take place virtually from August 12 to 15, more details of “The Year of Boxing” will be released.
To register and be a participant in our Convention enter the following link: https://www.wbcboxing.com/convention2020/
If you have any problems with the registration, we invite you to see more detailed information at the following link: https://wbcboxing.com/en/58th-annual-wbc-convention-august-12-15th-how-do-i-register/